The iOS 16 software update will be officially released for all supported iPhones in September 2022. However, the developer beta version is available from June 6. In this article, we explain how you can install iOS 16 on your iPhone at each stage of development: developer beta, public beta, and stable release.
Table of Contents:
iOS 16 roadmap
Since Apple is likely to follow previous versions of iOS, the final version of iOS is expected to be 16. for all supported iPhone models appear in September this year. Previously, on June 6, the company launched the developer-only beta testing program. The public beta is expected to launch in July 2022.
iOS 16 release roadmap
- June 6, 2022: Beta version for developers of iOS 16.
- july 2022: The public beta of iOS 16 is released.
- September 2022: iOS 16 is ready to be officially released.
The highlight of the new version of iOS is, without a doubt, the customization of the lock screen. With it, you can create different screen lock options and navigate between them to choose the one that suits you best.
look at our big iOS 16 Overview to find out what features await you in the next version of Apple’s mobile operating system.
How to download and install your iOS 16 on iPhone
Before you install, make sure to back up your iPhone so you can roll back to the stable version of the operating system in case you run into a problem. You can find out exactly how to do this in our iPhone backup guide.
As mentioned, the beta version of iOS 16 is now available for developers. This means that if you have a developer account, you can easily download the first beta file and install it on the iPhone. Please note that beta software is a version of software that is still under development and has not yet been released to the public. Membership in the Apple Developer Program is also required at this stage, which costs around $100.
Before trying the software on your device, make sure you have the developer mode under Settings > Privacy and security activated. Follow these steps to install iOS 16 Developer Beta on your iPhone using the configuration profile:
- Download the configuration profile from the Apple developer site (developer account required).
- On your device: Upload the configuration profile directly to the device and follow the installation instructions.
- On your Mac or PC: Save the file to disk and email it to an account on your iPhone. Select the configuration profile in Mail and follow the corresponding installation instructions.
- Connect your device to a power cable and connect to a Wi-Fi network.
- Touch ” Settings > General > Software Update“.
- Click on “Download and install“.
- choose Install.
- If prompted, enter your password.
- Once the device reboots, it will run iOS 16 Developer Beta.
The public beta of iOS 16 is not expected to appear until July of this year. To participate in the Apple Beta Software Program, you must first be a member. Only then will you be able to register your devices for public betas and test the latest features before the official version is released. Once the iOS 16 public beta files are available for download, follow the steps below to install the update package:
- Go to beta.apple.com on your iPhone and sign in with your Apple ID.
- taps Register your iOS deviceto download the iOS 16 public beta installer profile on iPhone (follow the on-screen instructions on the device).
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- A new element indicates that the configuration profile was detected. Select this option, tap the button on the next screen Install and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Note: This step only installs the file that launches the test versions on the device.
- To install the beta version of iOS, follow the traditional procedure: Settings > General > Software Update.
- Once the process is complete, your iPhone will be running the public beta version of iOS 16.
The official update of the iPhone operating system is done over the air (OTA). You only need an internet connection to get the update file. To check if iOS 16 is available on your smartphone, download and install the update by following the steps below:
- Starts on settings on your iPhone.
- Navigate to the “General”.
- taps Software update. The system will now search for available updates.
- If an update is available, the relevant information will be displayed on the device screen. Click on the “Download and install“.
- After downloading the latest version, select “Install Now“.
- After the reset, your iPhone will be running iOS 16.
Remember! The update will not install until the device restarts. To do this, the iPhone must have at least 50% battery or be connected to a charger. Happy downloading!