A few years ago, Samsung released the Good Lock toolkit to expand the customization options for its smartphones. NextPit tells you how to download Good Lock and what features it offers.
Samsung One UI: 11 tips and tricks for your Galaxy smartphone
- 1 contents
- 2 What is Samsung GoodLock?
- 3 Here’s how to install your Good Lock from the Galaxy Store
- 4 Bypass Good Lock regional restrictions with Nice Lock
- 5 “Good lock” tools
What is Samsung GoodLock?
Good Lock is the name of a collection of tools that add new features to your Samsung smartphone and increase the degree of customization. They complement the OneUI interface with new and advanced options, similar to the PowerToys in Windows.
The Good Lock app itself works as a list of shortcuts to various components downloaded from the Galaxy Store, Samsung’s app store. Some of the tools work independently and can also be installed directly from the APK file.
Important: The tools no longer usually work with each new version of Android or OneUI, since they significantly change the smartphone system, so it is necessary to release a compatible version.
Samsung has only launched Good Lock in 23 countries, including Germany. However, if necessary, you can bypass the geo-restriction; More on this later.
Here’s how to install your Good Lock from the Galaxy Store
If Good Lock is officially available in your country, just open the Galaxy Store app on your smartphone or tablet, search for the Good Lock app, and download it.
Those who aren’t so lucky can use a VPN service to install the app and bypass Samsung’s store geo-control. But you may need to remove your SIM card and clear Galaxy Store data and cache. You can then select a country where Good Lock is available, for example India or Germany.
A probably less complicated option is to simply download the Good Lock APK directly from APKMirror.
VPN for Android: tips and apps to navigate safely
This is how the Good-Lock modules are installed
If Good Lock is installed, the app will list all modules. These are divided into the two groups “Unit” and “Family”. Tapping on a plug-in will launch Good Lock to the plug-in’s corresponding page in the Galaxy Store, where the tool can be downloaded and installed like a traditional store app. Depending on the level of customization offered by the module, a system entitlement must be granted before use.
Bypass Good Lock regional restrictions with Nice Lock
An alternative to Good Lock for installing and managing modules is to use a standalone app like B. Nice Lock, which can be downloaded from the Google Play Store. Nice Lock is full of ads, but you can get rid of them by purchasing the premium version for four euros.
How to install modules via Nice Lock
Nice Lock is quite similar to Good Lock, it lists the different modules and shows which ones are already installed. However, to install a new program, it is not enough to touch the respective icon. To do this, you have to manually install the APKs of the tools you want. Nice Lock offers an index on this site. Alternatively, you can manage the installation of the modules with the “NiceLock Downloader Companion” app, which needs to be installed via sideloading.
“Good lock” tools
Good Lock only lists the modules that are compatible with the functions of your Samsung Galaxy. Tools that use the S Pen or curved screen, for example, aren’t even offered for unsupported devices. In any case, here we would like to introduce you to some of the tools that Good Lock offers:
- LockStar – Allows you to customize your lock screen by changing the position of widgets and notifications, wallpaper, and even the clock theme.
- QuickStar – Provides options to change the appearance of the quick panel. For example, you can configure the icons that appear in the device’s status bar (for example, you can hide the Wi-Fi or cellular signal indicator) or change the position of the clock.
- MultiStar: Contains tools for multitasking, e.g. B. Allow almost any application to be opened in multiple windows or in a popup window, with the option to hide the status and navigation bar.
- Clockface – Change the clock face on the lock screen or always on screen, with the ability to use animated GIFs and other images.
- NavStar: Change the icons on the navigation bar at the bottom of the screen. Those who use gesture navigation can adjust the sensitivity of the feature or even the width and color of the optional area where gestures are performed.
- Home Up: Redefines the layout of the One UI home screen. You can also edit the list of apps on the shared screen and remove the shortcut with Nearby Share.
- NotiStar – notification management panel. NotiStar allows you to choose which apps show notifications in One UI. The tool also helps to filter and categorize incoming notifications and even search for them.
- Routines+: For those who use Bixby’s automation routines, this module offers more features, rules, and customization actions. It also allows sharing routines.
- Keys Cafe: Customize the keyboard, with options to make the keys bigger. You can add effects and even apply color themes.
Good Guardians (formerly Galaxy Labs)
Nice Lock also allows you to add shortcuts to Good Guardians Utility Suite modules, until recently known as Galaxy Labs:
- File Guardian – Allows you to recover accidentally deleted files, create backups or even permanently delete files from your smartphone.
- Battery Tracker – Monitors the consumption of various apps over user-defined periods of time.
- Battery Guardian: Detects excessive battery consumption from apps and allows you to block them.
- Galaxy App Booster: Load optimized app versions on smartphones or tablets;
- Thermal Guardian: adjusts the temperature threshold to reduce performance;
- Memory Keeper – Monitors memory usage and promises to free up memory for other applications.
Some of the features that Good Lock offers can be found in the various alternative skins. However, Samsung Galaxy device user tools offer a useful array of options to make the smartphone experience even more personal.
The best Samsung cell phone for you: NextPit 2021 recommends these models
And you, did you already know Good Lock? Which of the features would you like to see integrated into One UI? If you use other utility packs, please leave your suggestion in the comments for the NextPit community!